This warm salad of roasted fennel and grapefruit is perfect on its own or paired with a delicious roasted vegetable soup for a heartier meal.
Roasted Fennel & Grapefruit Salad
This warm salad of roasted fennel and grapefruit is perfect on its ownor paired with a delicious roasted vegetable soup for a heartier meal.
- 1 large red grapefruit, skin and pith removed1 large fennel bulb, white part only*2 Tablespoon raw cane sugar1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oilSea salt and black pepper, to taste1 large avocado, pitted and sliced1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice3 cu[ mixed salad greens3 Tablespoon pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped
- *Reserve some of the fennel fronds for garnish, if desired.
Citrus Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- ½ cup fresh orange juice¼ cup white balsamic vinegar¼ cup extra virgin olive oil2 teaspoon honey, preferably local1 teaspoon Dijon mustard½ teaspoon garlic powderSea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place top oven rack in center position and pre-heat oven to 425°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat™ baking sheet.
- Divide the grapefruit in half and slice into equally thick sections, as shown. Arrange grapefruit slices on one side of the prepared baking sheet.
- Slice the fennel bulb from top to bottom into equally thick slices, as shown. Arrange on the other half of the prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the grapefruit slices, then drizzle the olive oil over fennel. Season the fennel with salt and black pepper, to taste. Tip: Use a pastry brush to evenly coat the fennel with the oil after drizzling.
- Place baking sheet in the pre-heated oven and roast for 30-35 minutes, turning the fennel once halfway through, or until the fennel is golden brown and fork tender.
- While the fennel and grapefruit are roasting, prepare the citrus vinaigrette by combining all the ingredients in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Cover tightly and shake until well combined. Set aside.
- Toss the avocado slices in a medium bowl with the fresh lemon juice to prevent browning and set aside.
- When the fennel and grapefruit is done roasting, remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Arrange the mixed salad greens on a large serving platter and top with the roasted fennel, grapefruit, and sliced avocado. Top with the pistachios and some chopped fennel fronds, if using. Serve immediately with a little citrus vinaigrette drizzled on top and the rest on the side.