Two of my favorite Holiday fruits are cranberries and oranges. Put them together and you have the perfect Holiday combination. We enjoy fresh and prefer our own homemade relish to processed store-bought relish. This is a simple relish recipe that you can make ahead of time and use for various recipes.
For a quick appetizer let’s make some relish for a tray of Crostini with Brie cheese.
- 12 oz. Bag Fresh Cranberries
- 1/2 cup Organic Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Real Maple Syrup
- 3/4 cup Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
- 2 tsp Fresh Ginger, grated
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Orange Zest
- Rinse cranberries and remove any bad cranberries before cooking.
- Combine cranberries, sugar, maple syrup, orange juice, ginger, cinnamon and orange zest in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 10-12 minutes or until the cranberries “pop.”
- Remove from heat and cool completely. Use immediately or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate.
Here’s a video of cooking cranberries until they “pop” by “MyRecipes”
For a Holiday Festive tray you can use your Cranberry Relish as a condiment on a fresh baguette with Brie Cheese.
Crostini With Cranberry Relish
- 1 Baguette
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted (not margarine)
- 8 oz Brie Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice Baguette into individual slices. Each slice to be 1/3 inch thick.
- Melt the 3 Tbsp. of butter
- Unwrap the Brie Cheese and remove the rind. Cut cheese into thin slices to be placed on top of each slice of the Baguette
- Arrange the bread slices on a large, rimmed baking sheet and brush the tops with the melted butter.
- Bake bread until bread turns golden brown, approximately 7 to 9 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven and place one slice of Brie cheese on each slice of warm bread.
- Lightly warm your cranberry relish
- Top each slice of Brie cheese with 1/2 tsp. to 1 tsp. of cranberry relish.
- Arrange slices on your tray and serve to your guests.