Asparagus appetizers are always a hit with my family and friends. Each year we have requests for these when we’re planning our holiday gatherings. They look elegant on your party table and are super simple to make.
For best results, have your prosciutto sliced in your grocer’s meat department (vs. buying pre-sliced packages). This will give you greater control over the thickness of each slice. If your slices are too thick, they will not remain neatly wrapped around the asparagus spears and your appetizers will taste too salty. Request very thin slices that do not fall apart when you handle them.
- 30 Fresh Asparagus Spears
- 15 Slices Prosciutto - thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Black Pepper - Freshly Ground
- Turn oven to Broil setting
- Line a large, rimmed baking pan with parchment paper and set aside
- Cut each strip of prosciutto in half lengthwise.
- Wash and Trim each asparagus spear. You will trim the end off of the stalk not the spear.
- Wrap each trimmed asparagus spear with a strip of prosciutto, starting just below the tip and wrapping toward the bottom. When finished, the entire spear should be covered except for the asparagus tip.
- Arrange wrapped asparagus spears on lined baking sheet, leaving plenty of room between the spears. Use a second pan or work in batches, if necessary. Brush each spear with olive oil and season with freshly cracked black pepper, to taste. (Avoid adding excess salt because the prosciutto is naturally salty).
- Place baking pan with prepared spears in oven and broil for 4-5 minutes. Remove pan from oven and carefully turn each spear before placing back under the broiler. Broil for another 2 or 3 minutes, or until the prosciutto is crispy and the asparagus is tender.
- Remove spears from baking sheet and place on a wire cooling rack to allow excess grease to drain. Dab lightly with a paper towel, if desired. Transfer spears to a serving tray and serve immediately
Here’s a video showing how to wrap your Asparagus Spear.
This video includes sprinkling your spears with cheese and lemon zest – which would be delicious too.
by: Seonkyoung Longest